Wishing everyone a happy Vishu! I am glad that this year Vishu is falling on a bank holiday weekend, so after ages we will get to celebrate Vishu the same day. We have a kerala sadya potluck planned and I am looking forward to eat a scrumptious sadya tomorrow.
Today I am sharing a simple Kerala parippu curry/dal curry which is served as a part of Kerala sadya. It’s so easy to make and you can whip it up in less than 30 minutes.
Moong dal/cherupayar parippu – ¾ cup
Grated coconut – ¾ cup
Shallots /cheriya ulli – 3
Cumin seeds/ Jeerakam – ½ tsp
Green chillies – 4
For tadka/ thalikkal
Coconut oil /ghee
Mustard seeds – 1 ½ tsp
Shallots/ cheriya ulli – 2
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Whole red chilli – 3
- Soak the dal for ½ an hour
- Pressure cook the dal for 2 -3 whistles
- Grind the grated coconut with ingredients mentioned above adding little water.
- Add the paste to the dal and bring to boil
- Finally in a small pan add oil/ghee sputter mustard seeds, add the finely chopped shallots.
- Fry it for some time until slightly brown.
- Finally add split whole red chilli and curry leaves and fry until red chillies get little dark
- Add the tadka to the parippu/dal