Baking is therapeutic to me, no matter however tired I am I can bake even from my sleep. Now that it’s summer holidays time is perfect, with lots of free time in hand and enthusiastic boy at home I look for any excuse to bake. He loves baking too, maybe more than baking he likes to eat what we bake :)
Whenever we go to friends place we take the opportunity to bake something to take with us. Since it’s summer and strawberries are in abundance in supermarkets I wanted to bake something summery yesterday to take to a friends and after brainstorming for a while we settled with this swiss roll. It’s such an easy thing to whip up and tastes really awesome. Believe it or not, it was so good that I baked another swiss roll again today and that’s all gone too !
Self-raising flour – 100 gm
Caster sugar – 100 gm
Butter – 100 gm
Butter – 100 gm
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – pinch
Eggs – 2 large
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Strawberry jam – 2 tbs
Double cream 250 ml
Icing sugar – 2tbs or according to your sweetness
Strawberries – 150 gm
- Beat butter and sugar until mixed.
- Break eggs and beat for a minute or so.
- Add vanilla extract and beat.
- Finally add the dry ingredients and beat until mixed.
- Spread the batter evenly in a Swiss roll tin/ bakeware and bake at 160 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Invert the Swiss roll onto to baking paper and roll it tightly while it’s hot.
- Let it cool down
- Once it’s cool, unroll the cake from baking paper.
- Spread jam evenly on top.
- Beat the cream with sugar and spread it on top of jam.
- Finally chop strawberries and sprinkle it on top of cream layer and then roll it back again.
- Chill it in the fridge until it’s ready to be served !