Hello all, Hope you are well. Apologies for the long silence, as much as I wanted to post something here I couldn’t get my hands over the camera to click even one single picture the whole two months!! At one point I even thought that was the end of my blog and I almost forgot my username and password!! In winter I used to blame lights for not taking pictures and blogging but now there is no reason, just lack of motivation …sigh.
Today’s recipe is a Pineapple cake which I made for a friend this weekend. I am posting it here for my own benefit really as it was a total experiment and another friend who tasted it said it was so yummy and definitely blog worthy J
Here goes the recipe
Ingredients - serves 8
For vanilla sponge ( I use 200 ml cup)
Cake flour- 125 g / 1cup
Caster Sugar – 120gm ( ¾ cup)
Butter – 50 gm /1/4 cup (melted)
Eggs – 4 large
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Pineapple extract/ vanilla extract – 11/2 tsp
Salt – pinch
For sugar syrup
Sugar - 2 tbs
Water – ¾ cup
Pineapple essence – 1 tsp
Finely chopped pineapple – 200 gm
Whipping cream – 600 ml
Icing sugar – 2 tbs
Pineapple extract – 1 ½ tsp
Making the cake
- Measure cake flour, baking powder, salt in a mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Beat eggs with sugar and vanilla extract until its thick and trebled in volume for about 5-8 minutes.
- Sieve the dry ingredients from mixing bowl to the egg mixture and fold in gently.
- Add in the cooled melted butter and gently fold in.
- Divide and pour the batter into two 7 inch cake tins and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for about 10-12 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cut each layer horizontally into two and you will get 4 layers of cake.
Making the sugar syrup
In a pan add 2 tbs sugar, water and bring it to boil or until sugar is dissolved completely. Add pineapple essence and remove from fire. Let it cool down.
Making the cream
Beat the cream adding little icing sugar and pineapple extract until soft peaks are formed. Keep it aside.
Assembling the cake
Once the cake is cool enough take one layer and place it on a cake stand moisten it with sugar syrup. Spread the whipped cream on top followed by finely chopped pineapple pieces. Repeat the same on other layers and decorate it as per your wish. Chill it for some time for the flavours to mingle.