Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kuzhi paniyaram


My fight with idly batter go a long way back, the weather here is so horrible for the batter to ferment and after trying all the tricks ( keeping it a preheated oven, keeping it a whole day etc ) still my batter didn't ferment and I knew that it had got nothing to do with batter or ratio as I used  to get soft idly's with the same ratio in India, but surprisingly that ratio didn't work for me here, but one of my  blogger friend Shibi who blogs at Flavz corner  suggested trying her ratio which works well for her. With much hope and expectation  I tried it first time and as usual my batter didn't ferment, I was very disappointed as I wanted to  eat  idly  badly, but when I got back to her  she encouraged me again so I decided to give it a go one more time. Finally for a change instead of fermenting the batter in night I did it the morning and kept in a preheated oven thorough out the day on and off  for almost 12 hours and voila I got a beautifully fermented batter by evening .I was jumping with joy that day, so next day it was weekend and usually we sleep a bit longer on weekends  but the thought of having idly's woke me up on time and got to my business  and guess what ??  I got the softest fluffiest idly ever ! So now I know what was wrong with my batter, I should blame my oven which cools down so quickly after preheating and turning it off, so my batter was  not getting the warmth for fermentation. Thanks a lot to Shibi and  I am going to stick to her  recipe for my idly's from now on. 

After my unniappam attempt during  Vishu I almost packed my paniyaram pan  but when Nisha posted her Kuzhi paniyaram I was so tempted to try it and  the  succesful idly's gave  the all confidence so I decided to go ahead and make this with the remaining batter. We all loved it and it disappeared form my kitchen soon. So if you like a change from usual idly- dosa why not try this ? This is a perfect snack to much on with a cup of tea but you can also have it for breakfast like we did ,but we had to eat a whole lot of it for filling our tummy :)


Recipe source for idly batter - Shibi (Flavz corner )
Recipe source for kuzhipaniyaram - Look who is cooking too

Ingredients 
For idly batter
Rice - 2 cups
Urad dal - 1 1/4 cup
Fenugreek - 1 tbs
Salt

For kuzhi paniyarams
Idly batter - 3 cups
Shallot - 1/2 cup ( sliced )
Carrot - 1 (grated )
Minced ginger - 1 tbs
Green chillies - 1-2(chopped )
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs( finely chopped)
Grated coconut - 3 tbs
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1tbs
Asafoetida - pinch
Finely Chopped coriander leaves  -2 tbs
Oil

Method 
  • Soak all the ingredients for idly batter for 6-8 hours and grind them into a smooth batter of medium consistany. Usually salt is added  after the batter is fermented but if you are living in a cold country add salt in the beginning as  it helps in fermentation. Keep the batter in a warm place or preheated oven  till it ferments which takes about 8- 12 hours.
  • Take 3 cups of fermented batter and keep aside.
  • In a pan add oil and sputter mustard seeds, followed by urad dal till its golden.
  • Add sliced shallots, minced ginger and saute till soft.
  • Add grated carrot, green chillies, curry leaves and cook for few minutes.
  • Finally add grated coconut, asafoetida, stir for 1 minute and turn off the flame.
  • Add chopped corainder leaves and  cooked mix to the batter and add salt as required.
  • Meanwhile place the paniyaram pan onto to stove and add a little bit of oil to each hole.
  • Pour a tsp or 1 tbs of batter (depending on how big ur holes are ) to the pan and cook it and when it starts to slighlt brown on the edges flip them over and cook for sometime.
  • Serve it with some coconut chutney or tomoto chutney or  sambar !

14 comments:

Merry Tummy said...

I love those curry leaves sprinkle in the pic. I was planning to make them, not very good with it. Will try with your recipe :)

great-secret-of-life said...

My favourite... Looks good

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Vineetha.. I should do the morning. it hasn't been working well for me either.. The paniyaram looks delicious..:-)

Hari Chandana said...

Wowww... I just love those beautiful captures.. Looks yummy !!

Shema George said...

I have never tried Kuzhi paniyaram before. I am not a fan of unniappams so I dint bring the unniappam pan from Indian. Now I regret it :(

Aruna Manikandan said...

looks perfect and delicious, I too make us of idli batter to prepare paniyaram,love to have with tomato chutney :)

Shibi Thomas said...

I like unniyappams, but I don't have a unniyappan pan...should have got that when I went to India in Jan. Thanks Vinee for sharing my recipe. Friends like you are the real joy of blogging :) The panniyarams looks awesome!!! Do the paniyarams taste like uzhunnu vada?

divya said...

looks scrumptiously tasty dear

meena said...

love u r presentation.looks so inviting.

Unknown said...

love paniyaram..lovely presentation

Swathi said...

Kuzhi paniyaram looks delicious Vineetha, one of my hubby's aunt make it with dosa batter. .

Priya Suresh said...

We do these cuties with idli batter, love to finish that whole plate sis,inviting.

Nilu A said...

Looks good.. Delicious and healthy paniyaram Vineetha :-)

saraniskitchen said...

Love to have this cuties any time...This is one of my weekdays dinner...Lovely clicks dear...